Sunday, February 25, 2018

Risk, Benefits, and Alternatives

A few years ago, I had a medical condition that required surgery. On the appointed day, I went to the hospital and began preparations for the operation. Once I had settled in the hospital bed, the surgeon came in to see me. As he had in his office a few weeks prior, the surgeon explained the operation, gave me a few post-surgery symptoms to watch out for, and answered my questions.

In the medical world, my short conversation with the surgeon is known as "risks, benefits and alternatives," or more colloquially, as RBAs. Surgeons are required to personally share this information with each patient. If a patient has a question later on, the surgeon must return to address that question personally. No part of RBAs can be delegated to a nurse or other staff.

Our Heavenly Father operates in our lives very much like a surgeon. The scriptures testify that all of us lived with God before we were born. We are his spirit children (Romans 8:16-17). "Even before [we] were born, [we], with many others, received [our] first lessons in the world of spirits and were prepared to come forth in the due time of the Lord" (D&C 138:56). When the time was right, God the Father personally shared the risks, benefits and alternatives of His plan for us in a grand premortal council.

As with any surgeon, the Lord provided information but the choice was ours. We knew that life would be a difficult learning experience and that the stakes were high. Side effects would include pain, frustration, temptation and other symptoms common to mortality. We would need to check in frequently with our Heavenly Father and rely on the Great Physician, our Savior Jesus Christ, to help us heal the wounds we would inevitably receive. If we were faithful to the prescribed plan, we would find great joy, peace and love in this life. We would have his image in our countenances. We would return home to Him to inherit all He has in the life to come. If not, our progress and our royal inheritance would be lost.

Some of our brothers and sisters chose not to come to earth. Perhaps for some, the risks were too great. Lucifer, the scriptures say, wanted God's glory without enduring the trials of life and attempted unsuccessfully to create his own alternative. Many followed him. All people that have lived, that now live, or will yet live, understood the risks, benefits and alternatives and chose to proceed with the plan to come to earth.

Thankfully, unlike most surgeries, our communication with our Heavenly Father does not end once the procedure has begun. Throughout our lives, it is often the case that we will think of questions we may not have before. Why do bad things happen to good people? Is there a specific mission or purpose for my life? How can I have peace, love and joy when my circumstances aren't ideal? What should I do about a particularly vexing problem I've encountered at work or in my marriage or just with life in general?

We must never allow ourselves to believe that we are alone. Our Heavenly Father is invested in our success and He is always there to guide the operation of our lives. "For behold," he has said, "this is my work and my glory-- to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man" (Moses 1:39).

Just as a surgeon will return when a patient has a new question, our Heavenly Father has provided access to him through prayer. He is always there and he always answers in his own time. Christ taught:

Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened (Matthew 7:7-8).

We should never hesitate to speak with our Heavenly Father about the trials and temptations we face. We should pray to him about our aspirations, ask him for the strength and protection we need and express our gratitude for his marvelous plan and the Savior that makes it possible (Alma 34:17-27).

These years later, the pain of my medical condition is now a distant memory. Following my surgeon's orders, I was able to make a full recovery. Even so, his name and contact information remains on my medical record and in my phone in case I ever have a question.

I know that I can always contact my Heavenly Father also; and that he will take my calls personally. He oversees the mortal operation that I chose to experience. He knows how to make it a success and he's deeply interested in doing so. You see, he's not only my surgeon, my god and my king; he's also my dad and he wants me to come home.

No comments:

Post a Comment